The Communications Advisor is a skilled project manager and communicator responsible for the development and implementation of strategic, proactive communications and public/media relations programs, and for supporting the Treasurer, the Board and corporate communications stemming from client departments
- A university degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or equivalent.
- Minimum of 5 years progressive experience in the development and implementation of communication plans and tactics related to all aspects of corporate communications. As coach and advisor to Law Society spokespersons, the incumbent requires exposure to the media and effective public speaking.
- Thorough knowledge of Law Society policies, practices and protocols, and an understanding of the principles underlying governance of the legal profession.
- Thorough knowledge of best practices with respect to proactive communications, issues management and media relations.
- Strong writing and editing skills that can be tailored to various audiences (employees, legal community, members of the public, media) and various mediums (speeches, speaking notes, member publications, web sites, social media, media and public materials).
- Knowledge of and familiarity with using social media platforms as a proactive communications tool. Expressive and persuasive in both spoken and written language for individual and / or group situations.
- Reason through and interprets complex spoken and written information.